Wednesday, June 16, 2010

2 weeks...

Most everyone already knows...for some reason I feel the need to record the events here, the place where I can always come to reflect. Tonight I'm reflecting on 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I made the toughest decision I hope I ever have to make in my lifetime. 2 weeks ago, I choose to remove my 57 year old mother from life support. 2weeks ago her heart stopped beating, and my heart - well it broke. 2 weeks later as I reflect upon that day I realize my heart is still broken and my life will never be the same.

The events that lead me to that position 2 weeks ago, are tragic, unfair, accidental and unimaginable. On Thurs. May 27 my mom came to my house. She was healthy, happy and so excited to see Aleigha graduate preschool. We ate Cake, laughed, cried and celebrated the milestone together.



On Friday May 28, while at a camp ground with some of her friends...My mom fell. Down only 4 steps. She suffered from a broken rib, 4 broken vertebrae, a skull fracture and tragically a 6mm midline shift in her brain. (The right side was smashed into the left side) She had extreme bleeding on the brain, elevated pressure in her head, and as a result suffered from several strokes in the days following the accident. Ultimately, she was left with brain damage on both the right and left hemisphere of her brain along with damage to the frontal lobe. Two neuro surgeons, and two intensive care doctors told me if she survived - the remainder of her life would be spent in a vegatative state. 48 hours after hearing that, we removed all "machines". 28 minutes later, her heart stopped. I held her hand, kissed her face, laid on her chest, told her how much she meant to me. Kissed her some more, practically crawled in her bed while her body shut down and she went to be with our Lord.

I didn't get to say goodbye.
I didn't get to see her smile one more time.
I didn't get to hear her laugh.
I didn't get one more chance to tell her how much she meant to me.
I didn't get to hear her say she loved me, or tell her how much I loved her.

I didn't fully grasp what happened, I still don't.

I really, really don't like what happened 2 weeks ago...

3 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

It's heart breaking! Losing a parent does indeed change your life. As one who has been there, I can say eventually it gets easier, but there is a difference now. Life goes on but every once in a while when I remember my dad I sit and have a good cry, even after 20 years. Praying for you guys!

Mari said...

I'm so sorry. I lost my Mom suddenly too. It's been 7 years for me, and like Kim said it does get easier, but it's never the same. Praying for you.

Amanda: said...

Oh honey, I'm so very sorry, No other words - just "I'm sorry".